Bangkok City, the bustling, cultural, vibrant capital city of Thailand contains some of the world’s top international schools, offering curricula from all the top English-speaking countries, along with some of the most well-known companies in modern education. For prospective parents who are looking for an international school in Bangkok, there is a range of criteria that should be considered prior to making any monetary commitments.
It is very important that prospective parents research the market carefully and visit as many schools as they can, speaking to their child’s potential teachers, administration and of course the principal or head of school.
Common criteria considered when searching for a new international school in Bangkok are the following
- Type of curriculum- international schools usually follow an international curriculum. This is why they can call themselves an international school. Schools may offer Australian, British, American, Canadian, Singaporean curriculum based on various different factors such as the nationality of the owners, the location of the homeschool and various other criteria.
- Religious affiliation – as such a multicultural city you would expect to find a range of schools that cater to various religious denominations. This is very much the case. Throughout greater Bangkok the majority of the world’s religions are represented in the education system.
- Location – It’s no secret but Bangkok is one of the world’s most congested cities. At rush hour on a Friday, it can take 2 hours to drive 3 miles through the city center. The traffic is not a joke. It is a very important factor and should be considered when considering schools for any young person. The BTS system in Bangkok is a great way to travel around the city center. It is always on time, efficient and cheap, but at rush hour it is packed.
- Price – International schools are expensive, there’s no way of getting away from that. A considerable portion of your money will go towards paying for your child’s education. Rest assured that the money is well spent. International schools in Bangkok contain highly qualified and experienced teachers from all around the English-speaking world who are dedicated, experienced, talented enough to educate the whole child.
Whichever school you choose, you should make sure your child will be happy there.
Ask yourself questions such as:
- Will they be able to make friends?
- Are there extra-curricular activities that suit their interests?
- Is the school able to provide additional English support?
If you are able to answer yes to the majority of these questions, and the school meets the criteria above, you may have just found your child’s next school.